I like to have birthday shirts for my kids and take a picture of them in it on their actual birthday. A few years ago I made one but most of the time I buy them. However, after the success I had with the Christmas shirts, I decided to try and make an applique birthday shirt for my son. It was so easy and looked great! If you would like to try, you can follow the easy tutorial here.
- Plain Shirt- short or long sleeve
- Material- small amount for number
- Number Template- easy to find online
- Scissors-Craft and Fabric
- Thread to coordinate with number fabric and shirt
- Sewable Heat Bond
- Straight Pins
- Sewing Machine with Applique Stitch or you can Zig Zag.
Make sure to wash your fabric and shirt before starting and then iron.
1. Cut some fabric for your number
2. Cut a piece of sewable heat bond and iron it on the back side of the fabric. **Remember when cutting the sewable heat bond or the fabric that has it ironed on, never use your fabric scissors! You will ruin them. Always use your craft scissors when cutting anything with heat bond.
3. Place the number template on the front side of the fabric, pin and cut.
4. Remove the heat bond paper backing from the number, the nice shiny texture will allow you to iron the number on and hold it securely to sew.
5. Iron the number on the shirt.
6.Take the shirt over to your machine and use an applique stitch around the edges
7.Trim the loose threads and iron the shirt and you are finished.
Please share with me if you try this. I would love to see and hear about your creations.