We are a book loving family and I want to share a great book for kids in middle school grades to read on their own or for parents to read aloud to younger kids, as we are doing. The book is Appleblossom The Possum by Holly Goldberg Sloan and it is illustrated by Gary Rosen.
This book is so interesting and charming, I am not sure who loved it more, me or my kids! Throughout the story information about possums is weaved through and I was amazed at some of the things I learned. The story begins with Mama possum having to teach her possum children about the world. There are rules to follow, real danger to avoid and adventures in that great big world! Take a look INSIDE THE BOOK–HERE!
You can read an excerpt HERE!
ABOUT APPLEBLOSSOM THE POSSUM:
Fans of E.B. White and Dick King-Smith will adore this heartwarming and funny animal adventure by the award-winning author of Counting by 7s
Mama has trained up her baby possums in the ways of their breed, and now it’s time for all of them—even little Appleblossom—to make their way in the world. Appleblossom knows the rules: she must never be seen during the day, and she must avoid cars, humans, and the dreaded hairies (sometimes known as dogs). Even so, Appleblossom decides to spy on a human family—and accidentally falls down their chimney! The curious Appleblossom, her faithful brothers—who launch a hilarious rescue mission—and even the little girl in the house have no idea how fascinating the big world can be. But they’re about to find out!
With dynamic illustrations, a tight-knit family, and a glimpse at the world from a charming little marsupial’s point of view, this cozy animal story is a perfect read-aloud and a classic in the making.
PRAISE FOR APPLEBLOSSOM THE POSSUM:
- “Sloan has masterfully created an intensely satisfying and humorous tale that makes possums seem utterly adorable. Rosen’s charming illustrations pair beautifully with the text, as he draws the possums with intertwined tails, pink noses, and vivid expressions.” —School Library Journal
- “Insights about possums add an educational element to this otherwise comic adventure, while humorous illustrations capture the wee possums’ antics and personalities. A warm and funny possum-family saga.”—Kirkus Reviews
- “Holly Goldberg Sloan knows how to write a story for young people, with a style that’s easily accessible and entertaining for new readers. Her latest book, Appleblossom the Possum, is no exception….Appleblossom the Possum is a fun read, and the illustrations are a perfect accompaniment to the lighthearted story.” – BookPage
- “Readers will enjoy both the realistic details of a newborn possum making her way to her mother’s pouch, and the fanciful view of adult possums’ urban nightlife, complete with rooftop music and a conga line. Best of all is the consistent, convincing presentation of Appleblossom’s perspective. Throughout the book, lively black, gray, and pink illustrations portray characters and events. With wide-spaced lines of fairly large type, this attractive book will engage young readers intrigued by animals.” – Booklist
- “Rosen’s pink-tinged images bring a playfulness to many of the scenes. Amid the homey message that family matters most, Sloan seeds the story with assorted possum facts and vocabulary lessons, but it’s the possum-as-actor metaphor (“Playing dead is one thing. But smellingdead is another. It adds a whole other layer to a possum performance”) that generates the most fun.” – Publishers Weekly
Penguin Random House is sponsoring a giveaway on Mommy Ramblings! One lucky blog reader will win their own copy of Appleblossom The Possum. Thank you Penguin Random House for the review copy and for sponsoring this fantastic giveaway on Mommy Ramblings!!! Open to US residents.
AppleBlossom The Possum Book Giveaway on Mommy Ramblings Rules:
Please enter the giveaway using the Rafflecopter widget below. Good Luck!!!