Besides baking Michael’s birthday cake for tomorrow, I decided to bake some sugar cookies for Valentine’s Day. I use the following sugar cookie recipe and I just love it.
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (I do not use the salt myself)
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.
Use Valentine’s Day theme cookie cutters. I chose to use hearts of different sizes and edges.
The dough is so easy to work with.
Prior to baking you can decorate or leave plain to dip in chocolate after baked.
I do not let them over bake and I love that they are soft and not crunchy.
The recipe makes a good amount of cookies. Amount will depend on the size of cookie cutters you use but I have three platters full.
These cookies were calling to Ethan who we told had to wait until after dinner. As you can see from his face and hands, he did not waste any time.